Tartare of scallops, fleur de sel, and basil dressing with frozen VSOP Cognac
As the recipe advises to serve frozen Cognac, I suggest to use VSOP Cognac. This Cognac suits best with freezing in our opinion. Enjoy!
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 12 large fresh scallops
- 1 bunch of basil
- 2 oz. caviar
- 50 g fennel
- 2 organic lemons
- 200 g mache (lamb’s lettuce)
- 1 tsp fleur de sel (preferably from ile de ré)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fine salt
- 12 cl frozen Cognac (put in freezer a day in advance)
- 2 dl extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the scallops into 1/8-in slices. Remove the peel of the lemons and cook it in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool and cook again 3 times to remove the bitter taste.
- Then cook over low heat for 1 hour with the sugar, the salt and 1 glass of water. Drain and let it cool.
- Braise the fennel with a tbsp of olive oil in a tightly covered pan until it falls apart. (About 10 minutes.) Let it cool. For the basil
- dressing: in a blender, mix together the basil, the juice of both lemons, the olive oil, salt and pepper 5 minutes.
- Preparation of the plates: Spread the fennel at the bottom of the plates on a bed of mache.
- Pile the scallops on top, pour the basil dressing and cover with pieces of candied lemon peel.
- Finish with a dollop of caviar.
- Add fleur-de-sel, ground pepper and bits of chervil.
- Serve frozen Cognac in narrow glasses as an accompaniment.